Thursday, March 15, 2007

Triangle, Square, Circle and Rectangle. Alex knows them all.

We bought a set of flash card today. We wanted some continuation at home of what he learnt from nursery. So, while he was on the potty today, I showed him the set of cards. My son could identify all the shapes and associate object to shapes. He knows that the sandwich is triangle and the ball is a circle. I was just so proud of him - lots of praises and he totally enjoyed it. He giggled and laughed that I ended up laughing too.

I don't remember understanding shapes and colours when I was his age. I went to Kindergarten at six years of age and that was when my education started. Today's children are smarter and knows far more than we did at their age. I remember Erin telling me who drew the "Sunflower" when she was just four years old. Early education certainly has its advantages but it also make children grow up quicker. We expect our children to be able to feed themselves at three years old and dress themselves by four.

My mum used to feed Adrinna and me from the same bowl but with different spoons - I was about six and Adrinna, four. We have a life time to be adults and only a decade as children. Why can't we let them enjoy childhood? Spoil them rotten ..... Before you could say "ah" .... they are all grown up - leaving the nest.

2 comments:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

It seems like things are getting better by the day. He does know more than you think he does - most children do. He probably understands even more than anyone gives him credit for as well.
And I don't know what you've been feeding him but my sandwiches aren't triangles - they are rectangles.

Sue said...

hey sis, pls stop worrying about Alex. I can assure you he is really fine. He may take a little more time to be vocal but it does not mean he is slow mentally. OK! I met ber ku's grandson Sean whom is same age as Alex, he isn't talking either and he isn't as smart as Alex. Sorry to say that about Sean, my Alex is a brilliant kid. So STOP WORRYING. Good that there is help out there to hasten the progress. Yes, rectangle cut at angle becomes triangle.