Tuesday, March 06, 2007


Seated from left: Erin, Alex, Yujiro and Jia Hui
Back from left: Marcus, Joshua and Yvonne

Well, we've got a call from Caroline this morning. The call lasted four minutes to be exact - she observed Alex. He is settling well and happy at the nursery - he has no language at all. He is immature in interaction with the other children i.e. happy to play along side the others but cannot communicate. She is going to send us a full report in the next few days and is putting forward a recommendation for Government funding to provide a carer to solely concentrate on his skills once a week. It's a very funny feeling I have now - on one hand, I am happy that he is getting the help needed but on the other hand, I cannot help asking myself this question - what did I do wrong? All through my pregnancy, I took care of myself very well. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke and I eat healthily.

The only thing I could think of is in my gene. I could remember that my nephew Yujiro has no language until he was close to four - we thought he could not speak until he finally did, it was in full sentence rather than baby talk. We could not stop him talking after that but then it stopped again when he hit puberty ;-)

Marcus, my sister Trixie's eldest, on the other hand started talking at a very young age. He was recently diagnose with Dyspraxia and one of the symptoms are he cannot stop talking. He is highly intelligent and very very polite. He will always ask me "Hello Sar Ee, how are you today?" This is from a seven year-old kid who cares very much for people around him on a good day. On a not so good day, he could be self-centred and stubborn - he cannot help himself as this is also another symptom of the disorder.

All the girls in our family are highly intelligent and developed normally. They can each represent their country if there is a "Speech Olympics".

I can't really say for sure if Alex is going to take after his cousin Yujiro or there is something else.

1 comment:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

If Yujiro didn't talk until he was four then you've got nothing to worry about with Alex. That said, any help and reassurances you can get will help. You've certainly done nothing wrong Christine.