Wednesday, March 14, 2007

From left: Adrinna, Joshua, Erin, Me and Yujiro (picture taken in December 2001)
I was in the middle of editing our local newsletter, Bullbrook News when Adrinna MSN me. She asked me how I was and yadee.... yadaa..... and then the good news. The day is full of good news and the sun was shinning brightly as well. How great can that be?
Anyway, back to my story ..... She was invited to attend a seminar for exchange program to a few universities and one of them was to Oxford University in England. Unfortunately, she is not going to take up any of the offers. Taking the offer meant she had to leave Bill and the kids for a year. I was a little disappointed to be honest but I know what it's like to be a wife and mother. I cannot leave Jeremy and Alex behind even for a day not to mention a year. She was very happy however, only students with exceptional result gets the invite to the seminar. I am just so proud of my sister. Hip hip hurray!!!
Today's photo was taken in December 2001. Yujiro went to live with Adrinna that year. Every one's life was turned upside down that year and the following months. Sue was in financial trouble because of the recession in Malaysia. She was a freelance interior designer and a single parent with a big mortgage. That was the year when everyone in our family worked together to help each other out. Adrinna took Yujiro into her home for a year and provide him with education and love. My baby sister is a star - she put her nephew's need first rather than her own children's and because of that, she struggled with her conscious. It's never easy when you take care of someone else's child. You can make your choice for your kids but when it comes to someone else's - you had to do the best. You don't want to be seen as favouring your own kids over others. It was difficult but we got through. During that year, Yujiro was not the kid that I once knew, he was quiet and sad looking. He missed his mum terribly but he had to remain brave for his mother. Eventhough he was just a seven year-old child, he was very matured. It broke my heart to see my beloved nephew suffer in silence.
Sue came to live with me in England for six months. She found a job working with me and saved all her money to repay her debts. When she was living with us (my ex and me) in a one bedroom maisonette, I felt trapped. I had to take sides and listen to my husband complaining and sometimes, I actually got angry with her. My sister knew something that I didn't and she wasn't prepared to let me know fearing it could cost me my marriage.
I was working my butts off that year, my husband resigned from his job and decided to be self-employed. I was starting a home-delivery business for a friend and working as a freelance consultant for his restaurant as well. My husband wants me to help out with his business because he doesn't like meeting clients. All in all, I was working three jobs a day - going to bed at 2am everyday and up at 8am. Working as a delivery driver at night from 6pm to 12 midnight because we didn't have enough staff. Got home and continued with the accounts for the business - all these while my husband was in bed. I didn't mind .... honestly but the last straw came when I found him cheating on me.
I have never cried so much in my life. Three days and three nights with every single emotion that you can name, I went through them all. From Anger to self-pity and blaming myself, my tears finally dried. While I was going through all these, I had my sister by my side. She was there to support me and that made me felt even worst, because I didn't treat her fairly. I put my husband above her and I am so ashamed now even after all these years. I am sorry Sue.
I do not know why he cheated on me and he never told me why. We are still friends but I will never have closure. One thing for sure, I have him to thank for - he brought me Jeremy and my little Alex.
As sisters, we got closer. We appreciate each other and we love each other more. No one can take that from us.
To my sisters ......... All for one and one for all. I love you guys so much.

3 comments:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

Well done Adrinna - it takes a lot to even get selected for things like this.
Christine - I am not going to bite about what you have said, except to say that (a) there are two sides to every story, and (b) at least everything has worked out well for both of us. We are happy with our lives and things happen for a reason. I'm not looking back, just forward, and I am personally really glad to have you as a friend.
Keep writing - I am really enjoying reading your comments.

Sue said...

I have to say that I am very proud of my sisters. They are all cool gals!I can't ask for more , gee.. I don't think I can ever catch up with their capabilities, Cheers sisses!!

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

I agree with Sue .. I have met you all at one time or another and you're all wonderful people.