Friday, March 16, 2007

Sitting on my couch browsing the ELC (Early Learning Centre) catalogue, I was amazed at how sophisticated toys are these days. Although things are more advanced and the toys looks really nice and cool - I still prefer old fashion toys. I don't find modern toys able to enhance children's creativity and imagination. Yes, they may have real to life toys like vacuum cleaner, oven or the ridiculous baby doll that can wet itself with the expensive accessories like pram and booster seat, they cannot compete with the old fashion cardboard doll. Everything that children played with comes from cardboard boxes from the shelves. Where is the creativity?

When I was a little girl not so long ago (I wished), I used to draw and cut out paper clothes for my doll. Made her a bed out of two pieces of cardboard or paper - glued them together and cut a line on top to make a blanket and drew a pillow for her. That's what you call imagination and problem solving. I used to play pretend with Adrinna and drew a cheque (copying my dad's real cheque book) and fold paper wallet to put them in. We used our mum's old pots and pans and pretend to play cooking. Never heard of Toys'r'us - just the corner shop with a small toy section.

Then I got older and earned my own money, came Toys'r'us. I used to walk around looking at all the toys and wished I could have them. Came Yujiro, my first nephew and the only baby in the family, I just cannot resist myself and bought him toys to satisfy my own desire.

Now that I have my own child, I hardly buy him toys because all the toys that he has, are given by his grandparents, friends and relatives. If I had to get him something, it's gonna be educational toys or old fashion ones. I am not sure if I will ever give in getting him a playstation or nintendo?

1 comment:

Daily Kopitiam said...

Dress-up paper dolls? Yvonne just couldn't appreciate them. I got her a book full of ready made paper dolls and clothes and even drew some clothes and they lasted less than a day. Bought her a magnetic paper doll with colour yourself clothes and magnetic strips to stick-on and now they are in a box somewhere. But, she's enjoying her rubber band skipping rope though. Marcus cannot really enjoy all these old-fashioned games 'coz they require dexterity with hands or feet. But he uses plenty of imagination with his dinosaur and animal figurines though. Gameboy, PS2 etc. are out...already addicted to computer games even though he's only allowed to play one day a week!!! Oh, I've a mini Toys-r-us here, so, please feel free to come choose whatever toy that Alex fancies...;)