Thursday, December 13, 2007

Winter is here ... (I think)

Well it's cold enough anyway. I had to brave the -3 degree this morning to scrape the ice off the windscreen. Took Alex to nursery and on my way back home, the view of the lake across Alex's nursery was just .... stupendous. Coat of white powdery ice on the grass, fallen autumn leaves on the ground with hinge of red, brown and white. What a magnificent view!

Anyway, got home and grabbed a quick breakfast before we left for Reading again to find a reindeer costume for Alex. He's playing Prancer (I think) in his nursery Christmas play next week. I just can't wait ..... my baby is all grown up. I am not sure if I am allowed to take photos or video of him as the nursery is quite strict with that. Because of data protection and privacy, some parents signed a form that they do not want their children to appear in any photo or video.

I am not sure why they do that but I guess they have their reasons.

Some parents are quite odd, they are highly unfriendly - for example, I pick Alex up at about 1:15pm almost all the time and I tend to bump into the same few mums that pick their kids up at the same time. It's not like we haven't seen each other before, there are just no smile nor acknowledgement towards each other.

My God, our kids are in the same class and we see each other three times a week, what harm is there to nod and smile? I tried smiling to them or make small talk but they just ignore you and talk to their kids like you are not there. Well I tried, I gave up and I just ignore them now. What kind of message do they want to send to their kids? How unfriendly is that? I don't know, perhaps I am old fashion but I will want to bring Alex up as a friendly and polite child.

Back to the costume, we walked the whole of Reading High Street including the Oracles, and guess what? No reindeer costume ...... Jeremy wanted to give up looking but I said "I can't have my son wearing just a brown t-shirt and trousers for his first play?" Other kids, much smaller than him managed to get their costumes from Woolworth but because Alex's much taller, it's quite difficult to find one. Anyway, we finally found one at the party costume shop in Ascot - we passed this quaint little shop all the time but never went in for anything. This shows that Big shops don't always have what you want. Never judge a shop by it's size and appearance.

Lesson learnt and Mission completed.

1 comment:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

Next time you might also want to try the shop in North Ascot. I cannot remember the name but it's pretty close to where you worked for a while. Toys R Us out here is crammed full of costumes but I guess that's because none of the Thai people are buying them because they don't really celebrate Christmas.