Saturday, December 08, 2007

Thinking in pictures.

I am reading this book "Thinking in Pictures" written by an Autistic inventor, Temple Grandin and I finally understand how my son thinks.

Every page I turned gave a new look at how I should communicate with Alex. Not every autistic person thinks the same but most high functioning autistic individual thinks in picture. A neuro-typical person like me would think thoughts in words or text, (how Grandin would put it) but to her and many others, they relate words with images. They think in pictures.

A good example is when I asked Alex if he is hungry, he looks at me blankly trying to understand what I am saying. But as soon as I asked him "Do you want cereal?", he will answer me yes or no. I could see why now because he cannot picture hunger but he can when you gave him an option. He can see cereal in his mind and that is why he gave me an answer. The same goes with, "Do you love mummy?" he looks at me like I have horns on my head but when I say, "Can mummy have a hug?" he will not think twice to give me one.

Understanding what goes inside his mind make things a lot clearer. I wished I read this book earlier - I bought this book six months ago and you know what it's like - when you put it away in a book shelf, it stays there until you have nothing else to read. It's not too late and if I start thinking in pictures, I could communicate better with Alex.

No comments: