Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Adults must listen!

It was zero degree outside this morning and frankly, I don't want to get out of my warm bed. It was freezing and I was tired.

Alex woke up at about 6:45am but he stayed in bed with me until his dad got home at 7:45am. We had a good cuddle and we sang "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and a tickling session - sharing some quality moment together.

When Jeremy got home, Alex got out of bed feeling relief that he doesn't have to cuddle up to mummy (ha ha ha) anymore and off he went to do his usual round downstairs - it's daddy's turn. I was too lazy to get out of bed to sort Alex out and stayed for another ten minutes before little footsteps came running up the stairs. "Mumma, Mumma ...... out there" pointing at the stairs and I said "in a minute, give mummy a minute" then off he went. You know what it's like, minute turned to two and then longer than I thought.

It must have been five minutes later when I smelt toast or something along that. I looked on my left and Jem was asleep ..... so, where did that smell come from? I ran downstairs and "Oh my GOD!" the hallway was a mess, he tipped all the boxes over from under the stairs - it was all over the floor. The kitchen door was shut but the smell got stronger ... I opened the door and the stove was smoking. He had the cereal containers on the ceramic hob and must have accidentally activated the heat on the ring .... the plastic cereal container melted with the coco pops in them. The cereal caramelised and the kitchen smelt of toast and plastic melt.

It's amazing how I kept my cool. Jeremy got up to help clean the kitchen and opened up all the windows. I was too busy to feel cold but I realised it was my fault. I should have listened to Alex when he called for me.

He is gaining independence everyday. He wanted to make his own breakfast by laying out all the cereals and bowls. The only thing that he can't do was get the milk from the fridge. He had to ask for help on that one. If he could, he would have made his own breakfast all by himself.

Funny way to look at this incident, if I hadn't laze about, I wouldn't discover that my son is so independent. Note to self, find solution for the knobs on the stove - it can be activated too easily. Anything could have happened - he could have burnt himself and that could be worse.

There goes, adult must listen!

No comments: