Friday, December 21, 2007

Cynicism does not exist in my vocabulary.

We have been really lucky so far - having meeting all the nicest people. Helping Alex in every way they could without hoping for anything in return. The least we could do was sending them each a bottle of wine and a Thank you card.

Today, something good happened.

We took Alex to see Caroline, the chiropractor. She asked me quite a few questions about my birth experience, Alex's development and milestones. Were we concerned about his development before the diagnosis and family history on autism. She then asked Alex to lay on her treatment bed for a spine and neck examination. Alex co-operated throughout the whole process and the result was, his neck is quite tight on the left side. She explained that this may be a result from the 22 hours of long labour.

Before seeing Alex, she spoke to Jeremy about the result from yesterday's consultation and x-ray. Jeremy's spine and neck doesn't look that good and we all agreed that something must be done as he has been suffering for sometime. Painkiller has worn off it's effect for sometime already and Jeremy would try anything to regain his comfort. She recommended two treatments a week for six weeks and then to decide where to go from thereon.

After Alex's examination, she suddenly said "If you don't mind, I would like to work with Alex free of charge. I love working with children and I ..." At that very minute, I felt a lump in my throat and I could feel tears coming out of my eyes but I stopped that in time. I said "that's very kind of you and we would like that". She could start working with Alex when Jeremy goes to see her for his treatment and they could have one session after the other.

Of course some cynical people would say that she just wanted Jeremy's business. I still believe there are goodness in everyone and I never gave up on that philosophy. She could easily said that she will charge Alex at a special rate but she didn't. She wanted to work with Alex because she believe that Chiropractic could help children with autism. She is currently working with two Autistic boys - a five year-old and a seven year-old.

I am deeply touched by her generosity and genuineness. I told her that I did quite a bit of research yesterday about autism and chiropractic. She said that she will email me more reports on the success of treatments on autistic children. I thank her and will see her after the new year.

As we walked out of the clinic, I was in tears. I know that GOD is looking down on us as it is not by chance that I saw the leaflet but I was led to it. I almost did not go to yesterday's appointment with Jeremy because it was so cold but five minutes before Jeremy was about to leave the house, I told him that I will go along. I don't know why but I just felt like going.

I have always said that I am not religious but I believe there is a higher being and that we all have a Guardian Angel looking upon us. I always believe that you should always treat people right and help without hoping for anything in return.

Today I witness the generosity of a stranger and my believe in people finally paid. Many people had done me wrong over the years but, there are far more who has helped me along the way. As long as one believes, it would become a reality one day.

Faith takes us through many a dark tunnel but one must never question if faith existed.

No comments: