Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Listen with your heart.

There are so many things that my son wanted to tell us but he can't. Through gestures and really listening, I managed to meet all his needs.

Alex has been really close to me lately. He prefers "mumma" most of the time because only "mumma" knows what he wants.

Jeremy was trying to get him to nap this afternoon but failed. He sat with him for almost an hour until Alex screamed for "Mumma". I went upstairs to see what the fuss is about and it turned out that he wanted lip balm on his lips because they cracked and hurt. He has been pointing at his mouth but Jeremy didn't understand what he wanted. He thought he wanted a drink and gave him his juice. As soon as I gave him what he wanted, he went to sleep.

As time goes by, I learned to listen to my son and to encourage interaction, I meet his every demand. It is quite tiring and frustrating to stop doing what you are doing when he wants your attention, I made sure that I don't show my feelings but answer to his request - be it get a snack or play silly games.

I believe that I need to give him the incentive to interact. Just like anyone, if you can't get what you want, what's the point to interacting?

As I was writing this, Alex came to me and led me to the kitchen. He wasn't sure what he wanted, but he held my hand and led me anyway. Once in the kitchen, we played chasing in a circle until we both collapsed from dizziness. It's one of those spontaneous moments we spent and then he saw the fruit cake on the kitchen counter. He pointed at the cake and I said OK and cut him a slice. I then told him to get a fork and he immediately went to the drawer and took one out.

I did not gesture him where to go and did not look over his shoulder to see if he got the right implement but he surprised me with his level of understanding.

Deep down, I know he can understand us and wanted to talk to us but it is neurologically impossible. He is not ready but I know when he is, we will wish he would keep quiet.

No comments: