Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chiropractic and Autism.

Jeremy went to see the Chiropractor today for an assessment as he has been suffering aches and pains for the last ten years.

While waiting for him, I came across a leaflet on Children benefiting from Chiropractic. It caught my eye when one of the benefits include improvement in children with behavioural problem. It also say that children sleep through the night after the treatment. I thought to myself, yes .... this make sense as the spine is connected to the nervous system.

When the Chiropractor came out, I asked her about the leaflet and if the treatment could help Alex's fine motor movements. She said yes and then surprised me with "I have treated a patient with autism and he started to talk after a few sessions" ( I did not mention to her about autism). I then asked her if she knew that Alex has ASD? She said that she guessed as Alex has some funny mannerism and wasn't talking.

We were so used to Alex that we don't notice his mannerism anymore and only a person who has experience with autistic individuals will pick these up.

We made an appointment for Alex tomorrow and she will do an assessment for free. I came home really excited about this and googled chiropractic and autism. True enough, there were many studies done but never published.

I also came across an article in the Telegraph dated May 2005 on a television presenter's personal experience with his son, diagnosed with Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, ADHD and then Autism.

This is his story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2005/05/26/hchiro26.xml

I can't wait till tomorrow.

No comments: