Saturday, May 05, 2007

Walking down memory lane

We were supposed to take Alex to Marwell Zoo today but in the end, we decided to go next weekend instead. We planned to have a picnic and even went to Marks and Spencers to get snacks and salad. When we got back last night, we went about the house looking for the icebox for our picnic. Garage, Attic, Shed ..... no where in sight but we found my box of old photos instead.

Flipping through the pages, feelings of warmth fills my heart and brought a tiny tear drop to my eye. How I missed my sisters and brother - the pictures below were taken in 1974 and 1981.

The four sisters
from left to right: Trixie (9 yrs), me (5 yrs), Adrinna (3 yrs) and Sue (11 yrs)

The Siblings
from left: Trixie, me, Adrinna, Sue and Vincent (behind me)
.
.
.
Trixie and Sue baked and decorated the cake. This picture was taken on Christmas morning 1981. For sometime in my life, I could not recall my adolescent years - tried as I might, I have no memories of them. Only after Alex was born, memories of my past rushed back in snap shots when I see or smell something familiar.
As a child, I was quite confident until I turned 10 years old when my parents transferred me to a new school joining my sisters. At my old school, my grades were quite good, I was teacher's pet, my artworks were often displayed in exhibitions and everything went down hill when I joined the new school. I didn't make a lot of friends, I hate the teachers and I have low self-esteem.
At home, all my brother and sisters were very good academically especially Trixie. My low self-esteem didn't help either, I always felt that my sisters bullied me. My only friend was my mum - she believed in me and encouraged me. This makes my sisters really jealous and often accused my mum of favouritism.
Looking back at the pictures, I did have a happy childhood. I have a fantastic family and my sisters are definitely my best friends.
Photos are there to remind us of the good times. No one take photos when they are sad (at least not that I know of) - If you are down and depressed, look at your photos - it will definitely make your day. Life isn't that bad after all.

No comments: