Sunday, May 27, 2007

Biggest mistake EVER .....

Well, I baked some triple chocolate muffins yesterday afternoon. It's for Alex - he loved the last batch I made and this time, I made it specially for him.

Instead of having cereal for breakfast this morning, I gave him 3/4 of a muffin and followed by a slice of toast.

Because we did not get out of the house all day yesterday, we decided to go shopping at Kingston. We totally forgotten that it's a Bank Holiday weekend and the journey there took longer that usual. Alex was pointing at everything along the way and expect me to tell him what they were and if I guessed the wrong thing, he'll scream. It was a tiring journey but we survived.

When we finally got a parking spot after waiting (what feels like eternity) to get into the parking lot, we went to TGI Friday for lunch. We were seated at a corner but the place was busy, loud and Alex was not a happy bunny. He is extremely sensitive to sound and this is totally sensory overload for him. He was still quite well behave when all of a sudden, a party of twelve little girls and their parents came in sitting next to our table. All hell broke loose by now ..... he was agitated, they were really noisy and the parents were standing next to our table chatting away. He screamed his lungs off ..... all of a sudden, we could hear pin drop .... the room went silent and all eyes were on him.

Pre-diagnosis - we would have wished we could bury our head in the ground. But, today - we just calmed him down and continued our lunch. We understand that this is one of the many characteristics of autism. Some are extremely sensitive towards lights and some sound.

We didn't get to go shopping as by now, Alex was extremely agitated and it would not be enjoyable for either of us to continue. We drove home instead.

On our way home, I realised why - the chocolate muffin's the culprit. He used to bounce off walls when he had chocolate. I think the chocolate (triple strength) may have caused the initial agitation and then followed by sensory overload.

1 comment:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

Chocolate can have different effects on different people. I just read a report that one chuck per day might reduce heart problems in later life. But that was probably a survey paid for by chocolate producers!
For me, I like it and it does act as a pick-me-up in the afternoon when I start to feel tired.