Monday, April 09, 2007

It's strange how you remembered fraction of your past when you see or smell something.

Two things reminded me of two different times in my past today.

I pulled the Sun lounger out of the shed to air it - I noticed a hole on the cushion and there must be a mouse in the shed. Anyway, while lazying on the lounger, a snap shot of the big mouse running past the kitchen floor in one of our many homes. Our home, a shop house (as we called it in Malaysia) is on the first floor above a row of commercial buildings. On the right, is a knitting business - heavy machinery used to knit cottons - end product t-shirts. On our left is a Danish cookie distributor sharing half a shop with a building contractor.

Till this day, I am not sure if they baked the cookies there or just packaging them but there is always the smell of cookies in the afternoon. We used to buy a large bag of broken cookies bits for very little money and loved it.

And then, there was the contractor with all his employees. I was in my teens then and had a crush with one of them. I remembered my face going all red when I walked passed him. I don't remember his name but I think he had a square chin like Jeremy. Anyway, that was the first guy I had a crush on and didn't even know his name.

We went to the Garden Centre to get some garden sack and peanuts for the birds. There's this place selling aquariums and tropical fishes attached to the Garden Centre and we went in with Alex to see the fishes. We then came across some turtles and they looked exactly like the ones I had as a child.

We had pet turtles when we were young. The size of a fifty pence when we got them and we loved them. They lived in a small plastic container until they were too big for it, my brother and sisters dug a hole in the garden and poured cement over it to make a nice little pond for our turtles. Sadly, the open space is too tempting for them and they escaped. Never to be seen again and the pond is just a pond with no turtles to live in.

No comments: