Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Someone commented that my recent blog is full of crap and pee.

Well, he is right and here's another lot of poo until Alex is potty trained.

It's Day 4 of Potty Training - he has been dry all day today and even asked to go to the toilet. I am so proud of him and there isn't a word in the dictionary to describe my feeling at the moment.

There is however, a little surprise in the shower for Jeremy this evening. I put Alex on the loo and asked him to poo but he pointed at the shower cubicle and asked for a "Baah" meaning shower. I said "you have to poo or pee before you can have your baah". He immediately did a pee and then climbed off the toilet and went straight into the shower. I had to go downstairs for a drink as I haven't had one for the last three hours and asked Jeremy to shampoo him. The minute he opened the shower door, he screamed "Oh My God! Oh Alexxxx ......" I ran upstairs and see what the commotion is about and there it was, a blob of poo in the shower cubicle.

I was quite calm about the whole thing and told Alex that he cannot do it in the shower and only to do it on the toilet next time. I think he understood what I said but I wasn't sure. We'll just have to find out later.

Potty training is definitely about timing and also to consider the mental age of the child. A year ago, when Alex was turning three - that's when I started blogging, he wasn't ready for it. We gave up in the end and never really got back on track.

Because of his developmental delay, he is currently at the mental age of 18 to 22 months. For a neuro-typical child, this is the right age to potty train. Although it's hard work for the first two days of the training, I am not as stressed as the last time. Carrying him up and down put quite a bit of pressure on my back but I persevered. I think I am reaping the benefit now as he has been dried all day.

For those readers who have a special need child, don't give up because you will be so happy when you finally succeed.

1 comment:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

Alex obviously already understands the bathroom is for that kind of business - which is wonderful. At least you're not getting little parcels all over your living room carpet.