Monday, June 09, 2008

"Mummy, why are they jumping queue?"

Jane and I took Alex and Nicholas to Legoland last Saturday. Normally, I don't like going to Legoland on weekends because they are extremely busy and the wait for rides are forever. However, since Alex goes to Rainbow everyday, I haven't been able to plan play dates for him and Nicholas. So, Jane and I decided to take the children to Legoland instead.

Since this is Nicholas' first visit, we decided to get an exit pass for the children - just in case the queue is too long. Nicholas has Cerebral Palsy and cannot walk unaided, it is difficult for him to stand in a queue for too long.

We went to a few small rides without using the pass and the children enjoyed their day very much. Lunch time came and went and we decided to go for one last ride before heading home as the children are getting tired and restless. We went to this small roller coaster and the queue was too long for the children to wait. We used the exit pass instead and walk past the other people, heading for the exit/entrance for disabled. Suddenly, I heard a child cried and said "Mummy, why are they jumping queue?". All of a sudden, I felt so bad for using the pass.

I find it difficult to use the pass as I am conscious of other people having to queue for hours, they too have children and their children get tired and restless too. But the other selfish part of me wants to enhance my child's experience.

I have seen other people using the pass in a way as if it's god's given right. Will I be like that in years to come? I hope not!

I don't think I can give a good answer to Alex if he were to ask me the question "Mummy, why are they jumping queue?" What do I say? Do I say that life is not fair?

It's difficult to decide how I want to bring Alex up. I am inconsistent with my own believes as sometimes, I tried to be on my high horses that we shouldn't use Alex's disability to gain benefit but if we were to follow rules, Alex will lose out.

What should I do?

No comments: