Friday, June 20, 2008

I am my own enemy.

Am I crazy or what? I suffer from Hay fever and is massively allergic to plants. What do I do? I go to the garden centre and get myself a few pots of Gerbera and plot them around the house. I love Gerbera and I love flowers but they don't like me.

I will just have to sneeze my head off as these vicious beautiful things call flowers cheers me up.

We had our final EarlyBird meeting yesterday. This meeting is to follow-up with our progress after our completion of the EarlyBird course three months ago.

A guest speaker was invited. Meretta Hawkins, the ASSC (Autistic Spectrum Social Communication) Coordinator for our area explained the services they provide.

The role of ASSC is to work flexibly with schools at two levels: firstly, a whole-school focus on staff awareness and skills; secondly, to give advice and support for individual pupils.

ASSC provide:

  • School based training in Social Communication Difficulties including Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and related issues.
  • Advice on strategies and approaches for individual pupils.
  • Short term enhanced support for the planning and implementation of programmes in schools.
  • Close collaboration with parents, carers and other professionals.

This gives us all a very positive feeling about sending our children to mainstream school knowing that staff are trained and supported to work with our children.

I cannot stress enough time, how lucky we are to live in this area as support for Special Needs are just amazing. I read and hear about parents having to go to court to fight the council to get basic help for their children and yet we don't hear such cases in our area.

It's really a postcode lottery when it comes to getting services for all sorts in this country, I guess. The media regularly complain about NHS, Social Services and the Councils on how inefficient they have been and how some people are treated unfairly etc etc.

Why do they not also report the good things they achieved?

No comments: