Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Tweet tweet

Woken to the sound of rumbling thunder?

Nope .... it's Alex dragging his toy box and stools around his bedroom.

I got up to see what the fuss is all about. What I saw put a smile on my face.

Alex stripped his bed and moved all his pillows and duvet to make a comfortable little nest on a platform next to his drawers. He dragged his toy box and stool to build a step to reach his nest.

He could have easily got onto his nest all by himself but as soon as he saw me, he said "mumma ..... I can't". He wanted me to help him up.

Alex could do anything on his own but as soon as he sees us or someone he knows pretty well, he will ask for help.

Anyway, after I helped him up, he made himself comfortable and said "tweet tweet".

It's quite strange! (I read quite a bit about autism in forums and discussions where parents share their experiences on what their children do.) Autistic individuals, mostly children like to strip their bed to make a nest on higher places. Is there a reason?

Could it be a characteristic of autism? Similar to hand flapping and repetitive behaviour, he find comfort in building a nest.

I wonder .......

No comments: