Saturday, December 27, 2008

Hanukkah at Tampa

After a whole day of walking yesterday, I told Jem that I have used up my quota for the next decade!


We went to IHOP (International House of Pancake) for breakfast with the Reeds. It wasn't exactly greasy spoon cafe but certainly sticky chair cafe. Adrinna had the great fortune of choosing a very sticky chair .... laced with syrup. She could hear ripping sounds when she move her butt (LOL). It was good food and not exactly cheap but then again ... nothing is cheap these days. 

After breakfast, the Greens and the Reeds went separate ways and to meet up for Hanukkah lunch at Bill's mum's house in Tampa Bay.

It's a tradition that the Greens buy a new luggage each time they visit America. We did the same last year because we just love buying stuff. We brought 3 cases with us this time and packed enough for 7 days. We even used space saving bags to give us more space to pack. And that ..... was not enough!

We went to JC Penney, Sears and a luggage shop but we couldn't find a decent one for the money we are willing to part. I cannot believe how expensive luggage cost in America. The prices ranges from $100 to $1000. Both Jem and I looked at each other and thought we came to the wrong place to get what we wanted. We were tempted to walk into Macy's earlier but Jem said it will cost as much if not more. After going in and out of shops, I told Jem that we should try Macy's as we normally get what we want from the last shop. No harm done if there isn't one but have a try and who knows?

Samsonite has a sale on at Macy's and it cost $58 for a 32" wheelie Duffel Bag. I thought it was reasonable considering the silly money we saw in the other places. Next to it was a Pacific Coast 32" wheelie Duffel Bag but without a price tag on. Jem took the Samsonite to the cashier and I went after him and said that I want a price check for this one. When the cashier scanned the box, he told me it cost $39 and I could not believe my ears. I told Jem that I'm going to get this one instead of the Samsonite and he agreed. When I pay for the bag, the cashier gave me an additional 10% discount and I was over the moon. 

We got what we wanted and came back to the hotel to pack our stuff as we will be leaving for Orlando early tomorrow morning. 

We drove to Linda's (Bill's mum) home and found the house full of relatives. It was really busy but fun. Everyone is so friendly and we had a great time. Linda cooked very good Jewish food which was an eye opener for me and Jem. My only experience with Jewish cuisine is Bagel ..... toasted onion bagel ..... hmmmmm

Anyway, Alex played with the other children as well. He was a bit reluctant at the beginning but decided to join them after Erin took him outside with the other children. Erin is such a great girl and Alex adores her. I am so proud of my niece and I just wished she could be with Alex all the time. I know that is not possible and I can only hope that her plans to visit us next summer will come true.

We left before the Reeds and on our drive back to the hotel, Alex said "Taco Bell" when he saw the food chain. It was so funny how our son could say this so accurately when he can't say anything else. Alex could also say "Kohl" when we drive pass the department store.

We will have an early ish night and tomorrow will be a very very long day.  

No comments: