Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Day 2 (Orlando)

After much needed sleep and rest, Alex woke at 3:00am Orlando time. When Alex wakes, everyone wakes!

We all went back to sleep an hour later and woke up at 9:30am. Well rested and happier, we decided to have a quiet day to chill.

Went to Waffle House for breakfast and decided to do the tourist thing .... taking photos of our food - LOL

Went to a tacky gift shop for a walk ... the American do everything in an over sized manner - not being disrespect to my American readers but everything is much bigger compared to the Brits.

Even the gift shop is tackier than any I have seen.

After breakfast/brunch, we drove to Publix to get a few provision and dinner. We decided to pick up some fried chicken, coleslaw and potato from the deli. I have to say, the American makes food look interesting and not like us back in England with limited choice from a supermarket that is. Pick up some freshly made Sushi .... hmmmmm scrummy, just mentioning it now makes my mouth water.

Got back to the hotel for a swim and then rest. Later went for a walk by the hotel to checkout the food centre .... No biggie.

We decided to take a drive to International Drive and Jem drove this time. It was getting dark and he missed a turning and took us onto a highway and learned our way around after paying $2 for tolls.

International Drive, not what it used to look like eight years ago when I first visited Orlando. It was beautiful in some part with lights decorating the trees, looking magical. At the other end of I-Drive, tackier than anywhere I've seen in my years of travelling. The closest resemblance to the places I've visited is Phuket's Patong Beach night Market.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice just not my cup of tea. Meanwhile every bus that we passed, Alex would say "purpur ba go go airport" or "bu ba go go airport" all the way and back our drive. Our son is obsessed with airports and I bet I know where he'll work when he gets older.

It was a pleasant day 2 of our holiday.

1 comment:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

A great account of your trip so far. I loved to 'eau de poo' - just as I was drinking my morning coffee !!

Not sure if you've had enough of snow already but I seem to remember the town of Celebration - just south of Disney - has nightly snowfalls (aka soap bubbles). It also had some nice, traditional shops.

Have a great time.