Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pay it forward.

I've recently found this useful website www.Freecycle.org . The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,557 groups with 5,525,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills.

Yesterday, a lady came to collect a few of the stuff I advertised for her daughter who's moving into an empty flat. I had quite a few people writing to me after that ... to ask if the items were taken. With the recent credit crunch, many people are looking into getting secondhand stuff to tie them over. I totally support reuse and recycle as the things that we have in our garage and loft can actually help many people.

Five years ago when I moved in with Jeremy, we had surplus as two household combined into one. The things are still quite new and we just couldn't part with them or we are waiting for that one fine day when we can organise a car boot sale to earn some extra cash.

Days turned to weeks and then years, the things are still there untouched. I told Jeremy about this site and tested out with the first lot by giving away Alex's high chair. He was quite reluctant at the beginning as the chair is worth quite a bit if car booted.

I was quite frustrated as I know we will never get to do a car boot and told him what I think. I think we should help people with our surplus. If we need them, they would not be in the garage or loft untouched for five years. These things are worth more to people who need them than to us as you can get pittance for your things in a car boot sale. It's demoralising ... when you pay so much for your things and sold at an obscenely low price.

The look on the lady's face tells us that she is really grateful. She said "I will return you a favour one day". I told her "Pay it forward". She smiled and left.

Jeremy overheard from the front room and came to give me a hug. He said he love me because I have a good heart. He decided to let me decide what I want to do with the things we have.

I told him, "If we can help one person a day, it makes our life worthwhile". We received so much from people helping Alex and I am so grateful. The only way I could repay that is to do good and help others.

If we live our lives only to take care of ourselves (quite rightly so). What do we leave behind when we die? I don't want fame but I know life is bigger than just me and my family.

If everyone can help one person each day, the world would be a better place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The lady with a heart of gold. Yeap, that is what you shall be known from now on. Seriously, I have tried freecycle before ( I gave away a lot of stuff including that backyard playset throught freecycle). However I have to stop because the e-mails were just too much. It is a wonderful program and I agree that if we can recycle and reuse, we should do it. I also applaud your motive for doing this. You set a shining example for us all.