Sunday, July 06, 2008

Oh God! I almost lost everything.

It had to happen to me but thank god I was calmed and collected.

After putting Alex to bed last night, I decided to spend some time surfing the net. To my horror, the computer wouldn't start up. I tried at least ten times and it just wouldn't want to know.

I remembered I had a restore disk made when I bought the laptop and looked all over for it. Well, to my surprise [sarcastic] it was no where to be found. If you can't find things in this house, it had to be in the loft (attic). There's one thing that Jeremy like doing, put everything up in the loft so that the house doesn't look untidy. Does not matter if you need it or if it's your half eaten sandwich, don't like the look of it .... up the loft.

I was panicking (or did I said I was calm and collected - don't believe a word I said) I went looking for a stool (as I am short) to help me reach and pull the loft stairs down. The noise ..... and Alex is still sleeping (although, he stirred a bit and turned).

Anyway, found the restore disk, tried to start up the computer again .... nope don't want to know. So, I search frantically for the manual and hopefully this will work. I took the battery off and used the main instead.

On button ...... hurray! I heard the hard disk starting up and the window logo and then it said that I need to start on repair mode and restore to the last point when the computer was working fine.

Thank god!

If anything untoward happen to my laptop, I don't know what to do. It's not the cost of the laptop I was concerned about but all the photos and videos of Alex for the past four years were not backed up.

After the computer come back on, I spent four hours backing up all the photos and videos on six discs. I was knacked by then and went straight to bed. This should teach me a lesson.

I remembered that I updated a security update earlier in the day and then this happened ... after I put the computer on standby.

No comments: