Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Change for the better?

It's been a week since Alex joined Rainbow. We could see that he is settling in well and a little different.

The first few days, he was rather edgy and cranky - not a very nice boy but understandable. He was much happier on Thursday and yesterday. When he got home from school, he is more tired than usual and wanted to go to sleep at 6:00pm.

Rainbow send home with Alex, a report everyday. In the report, we noticed that he does quite a bit for a 2.5 hours session compared to five hours at Teddies. Their activities are more structured (I like that) and it's almost a one to one with the teachers. It's been a week and he already had two sessions with the Speech and Language Therapist.

He likes the idea of going to school in a "bus" and looked forward to going to school in a bus again. As soon as he got home, he asked me "Bus?" I said the bus went home. He then pull a sad look and ask again "Bus?". I will then tell him "Tomorrow ... Alex go to school on bus again?" He will then say "OK", something that he previously don't. Alex seldom answer me when I asked him something - I had to say "Alex .... listening .... (Question) ... answer mummy". With reluctance, he will do it.

I guess that's a progress?

As for our life (Jeremy and Me) since Rainbow ..... hmmmm ....

Not much of a difference for Jeremy but a big change to my routine and I am getting used to it.

My typical day was rather relaxed when Alex went to Teddies. As he is there for five hours, I have quite a bit of "me time" and that ... is very good for a mum with a special need child.

Not now though ..... since Alex goes to bed at 6:00pm, he wakes at 5:00am and will ask for his juice and cuddles while I still have one foot in dreamland.

6:30 - 7:30am - Give Alex his shower, dress him and breakfast.
7:30 - 10:30am - housework (Alex watch tele)
10:30 - 11:30am - cook and feed Alex his lunch
12:05 - The taxi (bus) arrive to collect Alex

I am then free to do food shopping, go on the Internet, reply to emails, forward funny emails, plan for get-togethers etc.

3:45pm - Alex comes home

Cuddles, watch tele together and then start cooking again for dinner. Feed Alex, give him his shower and by 6:00pm, Alex falls asleep either on my lap or ask to go to bed.

I can say that I am luckier than a lot of mothers as Alex is really not a handful at all. He is just cranky occasionally but he is as good as gold most of the time.

I just had to learn to get things done quicker - ha hah a

No comments: