Monday, August 27, 2007


And you think it's safe to take Alex shopping.

My son has grown up all of a sudden.

It's a Monday Bank Holiday today and Jem's at work. I thought I'll take my little boy to Bracknell town centre for a nice walk - for a change. I wanted to get some scrunchies for my hair and maybe another cake tin to bake two cakes at the same time.

As soon as we walk into the mall to get to Bentalls - Guess what? They're closed! (on a Bank Holiday? - what were they thinking?) So, Alex and I walked aimlessly around town to see what we could see. Well, mainly it's Alex. He was the pilot for the day, pulling my hands walking in and out of shops.

First, it was the bookstore "Waterstone". He took me to the children's book section and there was an aquarium with a few small fish. He watched them go round for one nano-second and then asked to go into the lift by the aquarium. I asked him to press the lift and he did just that. All the while refused to let me stop to look at some books.

Then, he took me to the outdoor fountain at the town square. We sat there for about 10 minutes watching the fountain dance. You could see he was really pleased with himself. After that, he took me to McDonalds - I asked if he wanted to go somewhere else but he insisted on McD and that was that. So, we did as the Prince ordered and he fed himself with one tiny help from mummy - getting the food to the table.

As we came out from McD ........ he conveniently pulled me into ELC (Early Learning Centre) and started to play with the toys on display. And then I saw the wooden "Click Clack Cars" - the Speech Therapist used them to assess him and thought it would be a good idea to get one for Alex. But, Alex has other ideas ...... he saw an aeroplane and grab hold of the box and insist that I get them. I have never seen my son so adamant and I said "alright, take this to the lady and pay for it" He obediently took the toy to the counter, gave the cashier the box and I gave him my credit card. He took my card and hand it to the cashier and smiled. How sweet was that?

I still thought it's a good idea to get him the wooden click clack car (but knowing Alex, a good toy to me is not to him. He will play with it for a few seconds to satisfy me and never touch it again) but I know it will end up like the other educational toys that I bought and forgotten in the toy box.

So, we walked out the shop with one happy child who can't wait to get home to play with it.

And true, as soon as we got home - he wanted me to take them out from the box and played with it. He even took the plane to his bed for his afternoon nap and woke up playing with it again.

I am so happy that my son has finally grown and all because we had warm and sunny weather for the past four days.

1 comment:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

He looks very mature and, from your account of shopping in Bracknell yesterday, he certainy is. Your mention of ELC reminded me of times with Matt in Swansea. I had to avoid passing that shop because he would run off as soon as we came close, and it would be a huge job getting him to come out - even with the 'bribery' of buying a toy.