Sunday, November 18, 2007

An indescribable day.

The morning started with me feeling like a complete B*tch!

Jem's been having back pain since having chest infection almost four weeks now. The cough caused a trapped nerve and yesterday, he felt a sharp pain shooting down his left leg. He has been sitting quite a bit and laid off carrying heavy stuff. Of course resting is necessary but he has done that for almost ten days since we return.

This morning, I told him to get up and walk about and do something. The last thing you want to do is feel sorry for yourself and the condition would be worst. The GP did say that without medication, the pain would go by itself in six weeks and Jem's tried every possible pain killer available and none worked. I even bought him a TENS machine and even that didn't work.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way we think. I always believe in PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) and if I could help it, I won't take pain killers and if bed rest is really necessary, I will not stay in bed longer than a day. When you don't do anything, your mind can only concentrate on the pain and that exaggerates the situation.

Jem wasn't very happy at first and that made me feel really bad. After thinking for a bit, he agreed with me and we decided to go out for a little Sunday shopping.

We went to Costco in Reading. It was crowded and Alex was not happy at first but we managed to persuade him to continue shopping for another hour.

All that walking and I didn't hear a single complain about the pain. Do you think it worked or he just didn't want to say anything? I didn't ask for fear that I might remind him of his problem.

We then went for lunch at Pizza hut and then to PC World. As we left PC World, a black man suddenly walked in front of my car and I braked for our lives. Jeez ..... my heart almost touched the floorboard! I didn't see him at all - he was dressed in a black jacket. Visibility is bad when the sky is cloudy and almost dark. Anyway, Jem tried to calm me down and made a joke "he should have smiled". I didn't get the joke and gave him a weird look and he said "you know? Smile .... White teeth?" I could not stop laughing and I told him it's a bad joke but it did made me feel better.

So, how do one describe my day?

No comments: