Sunday, August 10, 2008

Friends of EarlyBird

I set up a group for families who have attended the NAS EarlyBird Programme about two months ago. We meet on Fridays every two weeks.

Last Friday, we had a great turn out, a new family joined us for the first time. Cara* and her husband Brian* and their three sons, all autistic. (as I am not familiar with them, I have changed their names to protect their privacy).

You would think that having one autistic child is bad enough but with three? I totally admire them as a couple and a family unit. Their first born who share my son's name is on the other end of the spectrum. I would not say that he is severely autistic but then again, observing him for about 45 minutes, I could gather that he is hard work.

Alex is a 5 1/2 years old, non-verbal child that can only sign "more" for everything. He has a tendency to run away without notice and his parents had to be very very aware of his whereabouts. He has no eye contact and when I tried to talk to him, he shrugged away and back to his own world.

Their second son, was recently diagnosed with ASD and he is on the mild end of the spectrum. Both Cara and Brian thought that their second born was neuro typical until six months ago, he was assessed and diagnosed. I didn't manage to get much information from Cara as she was busy going after Alex and I doubt she had anytime to herself.

Their youngest is 24 months and they suspect that he is on the spectrum too. He is very very much hard work and the temper tantrum is .... well, I must say that, his parents are Saints.

Looking at Cara and Brian work as a unit makes one admire their courage and patience.

I told Jeremy about them when I got home and I could feel the tears rolling down my cheek. We are so lucky that our Alex is so loving and cheeky .... always receiving hugs and making us laugh. I cannot bear to think what it feels like to have three children, in their own world and not even a hug when you are at the lowest.

Cara and Brian is a true example of what a family or a couple should be. They work together despite all the bad things thrown at them. They still manage a smile and a laugh in the very short time we were together. I hope I will see them again.

No comments: