Saturday, August 16, 2008

Be prepared.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about Alex's future. How my son can learn to be independent, self sufficient and be a responsible person. I found the answer ... or least for now.

I want him to join the Scouts when he is old enough but wasn't sure if the scouts would accept children with ASD. Deep down, I know Alex will learn life skills, make friends and many more if they do accept him. I decided to find out more.

I googled for "Scouts for Autistic" and surprised to find an article by the Scouting magazine from America and other Scouts organisation websites. I read the article and yes, my instinct hasn't failed me.

This article confirmed everything I believe, http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0609/a-boys.html and I decided to write an email to the Scouts in my area to find out if they will accept Alex when he turns six.

30 minutes later, I had an email from the Scouts and it read:

Hi Christine,

I need to know a bit more before I can assist you.

I need to know what area you are from as there are many Scout Groups around, some do take special needs children and others don't, this can be for a very wide variety of reasons ( see below for an idea ) that would need to be considered / taken into account when your son is old enough to join at six years old.

To give you an idea of reasons mentioned above.
Size of Beaver Colony ( how many members ).
Number of leaders / adults.
How many other special needs children already in the Colony.
Leaders views and expertise in working with special needs children.
Past experience with special needs children.
Your sons specific special needs.

The list would probably go on but don't let this put you off.

Could you please let me know the following and I can work from there

Sons name
Date of birth
Address inc postcode
School ( intended )

Hope this helps.


I replied with all the details required plus a little bit more about Alex being high functioning.

When I checked my email this morning, a reply in my Inbox almost brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy and appreciation.

Yes! Alex will be accepted if we decide to go ahead. I spoke to Jeremy when he came back this morning and I replied with our decision.

As it's not well publicised that the Scouts accepts children with special needs, many parents are not aware of this. It would be good for children with Special Needs to participate in mainstream activities and have a balance in their life.

Parents are often afraid that their children will be excluded in mainstream activities, hence they put their children in special camps for special needs. I am not saying it's a bad thing but children have to learn to adapt in real society and learning young would be an advantage.

We are not always there to hold their hands. Sometimes they fall, they have to learn to stand up and keep going.

2 comments:

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt said...

Christine. It will be worth speaking to Howard (if you haven't already). He is/was in the scouts for a long time and should be able to assist.
Good luck.

Unknown said...

I am really excited about this prospect. Alex, my dear boy, will enjoy this so much. He will certainly make new friends and being such a loveable child, he will make plenty of them. Yes, if he ends up in an active group with good leaders, the things he will learn is boundless. His Koko Joshua will be happy to teach him some things too.