Sunday, April 06, 2008

Temper tantrums is definitely a pain in the butt.

Alex has been really difficult lately - nothing pleases my dear prince. We have not experienced such bad tantrums for a long long time and I know what brought this on.

Our son has been sleeping with me for more than a year. It started with moving him into a bigger room and waking me up at 2am every day. Due to lack of sleep, we decided sleeping with me temporarily (say a week or so) to enable me catching up with my sleeps. A week gradually turned to months and then year. It seemed easier but Jeremy and I have been sleeping in separate rooms - not healthy.

Last Wednesday, we decided to put him in his own bed. We were surprised that he took it well .... he went to sleep at 7pm - almost instantly (he did not have his afternoon nap). Because he went to bed early, we could catch up with our tv programmes - enjoyed ourselves and went to bed at midnight.

Came 3am .... I was in dreamland ..... "Ma ma .... ma ma (sob)" and I went to check on him and managed to get him back to sleep. 4am .... "MA MA (SOB)" went to him and this time ... I was too tired to get back to my own bed. I slept with him on a 3 foot bed and by 6am I was numb on the side.

Thursday night. Went to bed again at 7pm. 3am "MA MA (SOB)" and then 5am "Ma ma (sob)" and then 6am - I might as well get up.

Friday - I felt drained by mid-day and promised myself that I will have an early night. Alex fell asleep on my lap at 6pm. I put him to bed and went downstairs for a quiet night with Jem. At 10pm, I went to check on Alex just before having an early night - he wet himself big time. (He has been dry at night for sometime but because he fell asleep on my lap, I did not let him have his last pee.) We had to change him and it broke our heart to see him cry. Well, he woke up alright and didn't go to sleep until 1am. I was too tired to sit with him and Jeremy offered to read him a story - it's fair to say that I have a great partner.

I slept like a baby and didn't get up until 7am. I was all refreshed and had a great day.

Last night, he slept at 7pm and called for me at 4am. I went to him and back to my bed in 5 minutes. He woke up at 6am this morning and came to me looking rather excited. Pull the curtain aside and there it was ..... snow, snow and snow.

So, for the past 5 days, he had been teary, difficult and a total pain in the butt. After doing my iceberg analysis .... I think his tantrums came from change and insecurity. The room is still too big for a toddler but he had to get used to it.

We have to persevere and hope he'll get the message that he's not coming to mummy's bed anymore.

No comments: