Wednesday, March 05, 2008


A very different boy this week.

Monday 3/03/08

We took Alex to Henley on Thames for a walk. It's been exactly four years since we've been to Henley.

Our cheeky boy decided to have his own mind lately and has been very playful. Everything seemed like a game to him.

After parking my car, Jeremy went across the road to get the "Display & Park" ticket, I unbuckled Alex from his seat and he got out of the car. I told him to stand still while I take his bag from the back seat. Normally, he would wait for me to hold his hands but this time, he decided to go after his dad. It was less than 2 seconds when I realised that he wasn't standing where he should be but across the road holding his daddy's hand. Luckily it was a quiet day and there wasn't any car around. I went across the road and told him off but he thought it was funny and laughed. It's Deja Vu all over again - Alex and his "terrible two" stage.

We had lunch at the Rowing Museum and Alex asked to go to the toilet. This is a good sign as he has overcame his public toilet phobia. I had a hard time trying to get him to use a public toilet in the past and Julia suggested using social story to prepare him. I haven't had the opportunity to make one myself but have been reading "Potty Time" a book by Bear in the Big Blue House to him before bedtime. He likes the book and I think it helps in some way.

After lunch, we had a long walk to the weir and back - Alex was very good the whole time. On our way to the weir, he pointed at every "Lifesaver" hanging on the stand and insisted that we say "Lifesaver". Then on our way back to the car, he pointed at the hedges and insisted that we said "Hedge". It's a repetitive game to him and it's as if he is counting them as well.

We had a great time in Henley and decided to swing by to Costco to grab some bargain. In the past, Alex hates Costco and would wriggle and whine. He was very different today, not only did he sat nicely on the trolley, he helped with the shopping as well. I mean really helped with the shopping - he decided to put everything that I looked at in the trolley. I was shocked because, he would put them back onto the shelves in the past but this time he decided to buy them instead and when I object, he laughed. What a cheeky devil!

He also asked to use the toilet in Costco - so, it's not a coincidence that he wanted to use the toilet at the rowing museum.

Tuesday 04/03/08

Julia, our Earlybird trainer came by today with a video camera to record our home work with Alex. We were given an assignment, we had to play with Alex using the "three-way shared attention" method. We had to choose either using a book or a toy with Alex to encourage interaction, turn-takings and communication.

We chose to read a book together and Alex was communicating the whole time. Julia was really impressed with him and told us that his interaction with me and the book shows that he is more advanced than his neuro-typical peers. He could anticipate what will happen next and even took part in the story. I am just so proud of him.

Wednesday 05/03/08

A very independent boy today. I was told that he said "Good Morning" very clearly at nursery. He also attempted Stretch'n'Grow with no help from an adult and finished all his lunch all by himself. What more can I ask for?

I believe having an open mind and stay positive helped Alex's progress. We let him take his own time to develop while setting boundaries and guiding him when we see fit. It does not matter if a child is neuro-typical or having special needs, when he is ready to, there's no looking back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you hear about the case where the US government settled a case with a family because of the link between their child's autistic behavior and vaccination preservative? I think it was decided yesterday. Lots of hoopla over it. It is going to open a whole BIG can of worm.

Christine Hoh said...

It's going to be a difficult thing to proof that your child has autism because of the vaccination. Not many parents record what their child is like before vaccination.

I certainly cannot with Alex but I do remember that he was making sounds and babbling when he was 15 months and stopped completely soon after his second or third vaccination.