Sunday, May 31, 2009

What a revelation!

Whether you have a special need child or not, parents tend to do more than they should for their children. We fail to realise that our children have been observing us and can actually do many things if we just let them and not intervening so often because we are afraid of the mess they make. 


Because of the fear of cleaning up mess, it would be easier and quicker to just do it for them. Hence, children learn early in life that .... "Hey, why bother when you have someone doing it for you?" and the "I can't" comes into the equation when you ask them to do it themselves.

Alex can do many things for different people and he won't show his cards all at once. He led me to believe that he can't do many things when he can do them with his therapist or his teachers at school.

We had breakfast this morning and I asked Alex to pour milk into his cereal. Without thinking twice, he grab the carton and then unscrew the cap .... a **PINK** in his brain suddenly remind him that mummy is watching and he said "I can't ..." with a whinny voice. If I had turned my back and not watching, he would have poured the milk and replace the cap. I told him, "you can do it, just try" he then confidently pour the milk into the bowl beautifully.

I am so proud of him.

Alex needs constant reassurance (not in a bad way) when an adult is present. Even though he knows he is allowed to do it because he has done so many times, he still need approval. Is this part of autism? 

I am very lucky with Alex because he has no tantrums compared to my friends' Autistic children. And when I take him out, many people commented on how well behaved Alex was. 

Could it be because he is my only child and I can afford to pour all my attention on him and meet his every needs that he is so contented and see no reason to seek attention?

No comments: